Plenary Session 3
2018 Presidential Address: The Unique Value of Hand Therapy and Professional Organization Membership
The science that supports the unique value of hand therapy will be presented. Organization membership has changed over the years based upon the perceived value of membership in the professional organization. Survey results regarding membership organization of certified hand therapists will be discussed
- Understand the unique value of hand therapy for patient care for distinct patient populations
- Verbalize the evidence regarding the value of hand therapy
- Discriminate between member benefits provided by professional organizations
Amplifying Hand Therapy’s Voice on Capitol Hill and Beyond
This session seeks to provide insight into the role advocacy has in shaping policy and ultimately your practice. ASHT members will also learn strategies for engaging Congress and amplifying your profession’s voice.
- Demonstrate the intersection of advocacy, policy, and practice
- Recognize what information is most impactful for Capitol Hill.
- Identify strategies for influencing Congress.
Collaborative Research: Demonstrating the Value of Hand Therapy
This panel will present their ideas and recommendations for conducting clinical research to demonstrate that hand therapy improves patient outcomes. The recommendations will span from publishable case studies to collaboration between clinics and academic institutions. The panel will address resources to further the clinician’s understanding of how they can contribute to the many research endeavors needed in hand therapy.
- Identify resources to contribute to the body of knowledge in hand therapy.
- Understand the significance of having patient outcomes data to advocate for the practice of hand therapy.
- Describe how clinicians and academic researchers can collaborate on research projects.